Home Sweet Home

So what's this? I bust out of the confines of the hospital and stop updating? Pretty much, yeah. As of Wednesday, December 14th I am a free woman! Free to sleep in my own bed, free to roam without an IV pole (for the first time in many, many months) and free to work these new lungs.

I must say, it's weird being home and not having to constantly adhere to a physio schedule (I still do nebs for the next three months, mind you). But already I notice I have so much free time. Of course, I'm still healing from major surgery and require lots of rest, but I know that time is there to spare. What a nice holiday gift!

Most of this week has consisted of my returning to the hospital for exercise (with my green card) and relaxing around the apartment. Since it's busy holiday season I'm avoiding all public places and probably will for the next three months when my immune system is lowest.

The best update of all? On Monday I had my very first PFT (lung function test) test and I blew 57% (1.63 L), a number that I haven't seen since I was a child! To give you an idea of where I was before transplant, my PFTs were .61 L, which is 21%. It's mind-boggling that I can now do a lung function test without hacking and seeing stars after. I also got to have a look of my recent chest xray compared to my before transplant xray and there's so much improvement in my back already (perhaps why I'm standing up straighter?) Also, a lot of the gas trapping and hyperinflation I had from my old lungs has virtually disappeared. Amazing how quick that happens!

Smiley is happy to be leaving!

Making a run for it

Mom carrying my bags home since I cannot lift anything heavier than 10 lbs for 3 months