Tick-Tock: Temporary Freedom

Today at 4:30 (on the dot, I might add) I dropped my 24-page thesis proposal into the submission box and (quite literally) skipped out of the doors of Guelph-Humber with the first hint of relief I have felt in a week.

I hope I pass, I'm not sure I did the best I could--I put tons of hours into it--but admittedly my heart was not always in it, so we'll see what translates on paper! Most of my time was spent trying to figure out what exactly a thesis proposal was and how to write a literature review. For some bazaar reason four years of University still did not prepare me for the shock of an Undergraduate thesis. 

To sum up my week, here is how it played out: I was chained to my dining room table, staring down my laptop and surrounded by a stack of academic journals and library books (the latter of which ended up just being for decoration... while I thought the books were interesting, I didn't really have enough time to read them). I spent a majority of the week feeling suddenly enlightened and then severely confused. At one momentous breaking point, I told my Mom how much I hated school and felt like dropping out--it was a drama queen moment that was resolved with a nap and caffeine booster.

In other news, I think I may have to whiten my teeth after this week due to the massive amount of tea I consumed (I've never been a coffee drinker, though it is debatable which one is worse).

Also, it seems like--two weeks later--my cold has finally cleared! Part of the reason for this thesis proposal taking so long--besides my procrastination skills--is that my energy has been so low the past two weeks. Usually, I sleep 7 hours a night and feel just dandy--but I was requiring 10-12 hours of sleep PLUS naps, which is far too time consuming in my opinion. I know you are supposed to rest when you are sick, but feeling tired all the time is a drag when you know you have some much to do or so much you want to do.

Aside from a short stint with a swollen ear—which I quickly self-diagnosed on WebMB as a blocked Eustachian tube, like any other reasonable person would do--I think I beat this cold pretty well! My mom and sister ended up picking up a new brand of cold over the Thanksgiving weekend, but thankfully didn't share it with me (though, I am jealous that their cold was superior to mine since it only seemed to cause a 4-day sore throat, pah!)

One thing I have had return though is that weird 'infectiony' smell I get. I claim to be able to 'smell' infection...really, that’s the only way I can describe this. Mind you, I don't really have a sharp sense of smell (with the addition of this cold I was sadly unable to smell Turkey dinner last weekend, but the smell was described to me by numerous salivating people). Anyway, this weird infectiony smell stumps me (and the doctors at St. Mikes). Usually out of paranoia I go on antibiotics. Especially since, for whatever reason, I don't get normal signs of a chest infection anymore. When I have a chest infection instead of coughing up more, which is a trademark sign, I actually cough up less or nothing... so, as you can guess this makes things a little tricky.

Because my energy and appetite is returning, I've decided it is no big deal so far. I've actually been inhaling the vapours of tea tree oil, which I read somewhere a long time ago could help ward off infections. Who knows if there are any scientific facts to back it up, but I am always up for trying anything and I think it actually has been helping.

I’m certain a nice weekend of R&R (and normal homework catch-up) will have me fully recovered by Monday.

3 Responses so far.

  1. LittleM says:

    I claim to be able to smell, not infection, but the cold virus. Whenever I get the classic watery itchy eyes and nose, I analyze whether or not I smell the "smell".. if no, its allergies.. weird.. I wonder if its the same sort of thing as you

  2. that is so weird you two "smell" sickness. haha
    Lin glad your proposal is finally done! phew

  3. Hmm I wonder if it is the same thing! I usually get it near the end of my cold and it comes and goes... so weird.