The Results Are In!

Drum roll please...
When I came home last night from a weekend in Collingwood there was a message on my phone from the Transplant Coordinator at TGH, Michelle. She said they had the meeting about me (which I originally plotted to send a spy to) and had decided that it is too early for me to go on the active transplant list. Also, all my tests looked great and I would be a suitable candidate for transplant in the future. Two for two!

A Different Type of Learning…

Today was my first day of school, but I spent it at St. Mikes instead. I was really tempted to cancel my CF clinic appointment but as one CFer reminded me, your health comes first. Again, I had to fast for an ultrasound (my last official transplant assessment test), which I wasn’t overly excited about. Turns out the lady who was supposed to do my ultrasound called in sick today, so my fast was in vain.

Funny enough, without even trying I gained weight since my last clinic appointment (which was one month ago) but sadly my PFTS dropped from .87 L to .76 L, which was a surprise to me seeing as I have been working out more than usual and feeling pretty good!

Alas, I have been stripped of my one-month appointment privileges and will have to go back in two weeks instead.

Getting Shot
One bonus of going for my tx assessment before I am sick enough to go on the list is that I can get all my lovely shots out of the way. Since your immune system is pretty much non-existent after tx, you need to get them all done before you go on the list. So today I got my first round of the Twinrix shot (for Hepatitis A+B) and the Gardasil shot (for HPV). I go back next week for my second round of the Twinrix shot—it is quite time consuming!

Here is my schedule:
Twinrix: Today, 7 days, 21 days and 6 months (4 shots total)
Gardasil: Today, 2 months, 6 months (3 shots total)
Varicella: 2 months apart (2 shots total)

I also found out that I have never had the chicken pox (which I knew, but they wanted to make sure). I have definitely been exposed to it—my best friend in elementary school had the chicken pox—but I somehow never got it, so I have to get the “chicken pox” shot/Varicella shot.

What else did I learn today? My blood type is O+, which can give to A+, B+ and AB+ (not that I am even big enough to give blood) and is also the most common blood type. Good news there.


Got Mono?

Where the good news does not continue is that I have never had the Epstein-Barr Virus which causes something you may be familiar with: mononucleosis. I am told this is not very common since most people have been infected with Epstein-Barr by adulthood (even if they have shown no symptoms). I have certainly been exposed to mono as well, but have mysteriously never got it (my sister even had it for months when we were sharing a bathroom… though admittedly I made her change to the basement bathroom. Mistake?) So why, you ask, is this a bad thing? Well, Epstein-Barr—while inconvenient—actually provides you some immunity from post-transplant lymphoma. So I guess I’ll try hanging out at the local high school to pick up some of that ever-popular mono.

The verdict is in and I feel pretty good about it, so tomorrow it is on to the next chapter and back to the books!

2 Responses so far.

  1. Anonymous says:

    Wow,

    So, Congrats on being suitable but just "not yet". Hard work is out of the way (assessment) so that when the time is right it's pretty easy to get added. YAY! You must feel like a huge weight is lifted from you: you are suitable!

    And me I didnt even get the chance to finish my Hep boosters before the call came. Docs want me to do them now post. Crazy about epstine barr/mono, eh? Who knew! I knew that chicken pox you HAVE to do beforehand becuase isn't it a live vaccine? I needed it too.

    It sucks about your PFT being lower, but if you're feeling good and being active and having good quality of life.... well, then a number is just a number! I don't know what the percentages are on the new scale, but less than a litre is a challenge so great of you to keep active: it's the best way to stay strong post tx recovery they say.

    Anyhow, hopefully post tx you wont have anyone saying "robutussin" to you and you will laugh at will without fear of starting a jag. Until then, keep active! I've been enjoying your blog.

    Alex P
    http://thebravestredhead.wordpress.com/

    ps: I am keeping my gtube for now since it's so handy for peglyte administration, which I needed a few times post transplant due to tummy comlications. I still think getting the gtube was the best thing! Thanks for helping to guide me there :-)

  2. Thanks Alex!

    I've been following your progress too! Your trip looked like it was so much fun.

    No doubt when my time for tx comes I will be turning to you for guidance along with my other cf friends that have already crossed that bridge.

    Yes, I agree the gtube is very convenient for the peglyte... I don't think I could ever drink 4 L of that stuff. Blegh!