Stomach acid strikes back

I slipped up this week and paid for it--big time.
On Tuesday I ran out of Losec--a medication that prevents the production of stomach acid--and failed to refill my prescription right away. Instead, I found a bottle of zantac and--feeling thrifty--thought that might tie me over for a few days. Boy was I wrong, VERY wrong. Anyone who has ever experienced severe heartburn will sympathize. For those of you who have not, it feels exactly how it sounds...acid burning your throat (and sometimes mouth and nose), and it shoots up in little volcanic bursts.

Wednesday was fine, the Zantac seemed to work when coupled with a few Rolaids throughout the day. Thursday brought a little more discomfort, I found it difficult to eat or drink anything because of the burning sensation in my throat (and the fear of making it worse). But by this morning (and remainder of the day) it was intolerable. I couldn't even complete my morning physio because the stomach acid was jumping up to my mouth (despite popping Rolaids and Zantac). Needless to say, I immediately got my butt up to the drugstore and picked up a fresh supply of Losec--a drug I will never, EVER be without again! 

Lesson learned. Laziness=pain.

This is a reminder blog post to myself, just in case I feel like procrastining again in the future.

One Response so far.

  1. LittleM says:

    I wish I could've sent you mine.. I am now on it and starting to realize maybe I dont need it. I notice nothing when I dont take it. I spose I should consider myself lucky.