Going Steady

May 14, 2011

Next week will bring me to two milestones: I will have been out of the hospital for a month and officially listed for a month!

I haven't really had much energy to blog since I've started my pre-transplant exercise program at Toronto General. I'm required to go to the hospital three times a week to condition my body for such a huge, dramatic, surgery and it's no walk in the park: 40 minutes of cardio (20 minutes on the bicycle and 20 minutes on the treadmill), weightlifting, and stretching. I actually enjoy the challenge most days--it's nice to firm up after sitting in a hospital bed for 8 weeks--but this week has been a little tougher for whatever reason, my lungs are just not having it... did I mention I require 1-2 hr naps after?

Everyone there seems friendly enough, but all are old enough to be my grandparents... I guess if I want to start up a bridge group after transplant, I'll know where to recruit members.


Otherwise, I've been able to get out with friends on a few occasions, which is a nice break from routine, but unfortunately get burnt out really fast and am not as 'peppy' as I usually am. After talking to my cystic sister, I've learned this is pretty common before transplant, you're half the person you were because you have half the energy--which translates to a less talkative, less energetic, less engaging me. Sorry world and social life, I'll make up for it later.

On the health front, everything is going 'steady', I don't feel amazing but I have good days and bad days. I had a few days where I questioned whether or not I needed to be on the transplant list, and other days where I couldn't wait for new lungs, and then 'meh' days in between. I'm starting to come off my 'IV' high, so my oxygen levels are borderline again (no brisk walking for this girl), and my PFTS have leveled off at 25% again from 27%--I go back to clinic in two weeks to make sure they don't continue dropping. I DID have clinic this week, but it was a long wait, so I did my test and left... I was also having one of those 'meh' days which meant everything was tiring and since there was nowhere to sit, I opted to hightail it out of there, or whatever my version of a swift exit is. 

In other, less monotonous news, I have FINALLY recieved word that I am graduating this year! I took a few courses out of order, so administration had to do a lot of headscratching to do before it was sorted, but it's done! Woo!

That's that for now...