The Verdict

I was rather surprised when I noticed I had a missed call from 'unknown' yesterday morning, although it  should surprise no one that I didn't pick up since a) I rarely pick up my phone, and half the time my cell refuses to work anyway and b) Unknown, really? Do I want to speak to you? Not talking to strangers is a golden rule in life. However, these days 'unknown' usually means a phone call from TGH or Sick Kids (trying to rope me into another study [I've already done 5 billion]... I played the transplant card and I don't think they'll be calling... ever again).

After checking my messages, I confirmed that the call was from my transplant coordinator and she wanted to discuss the results of Thursday night's meeting. Following a brief sweaty-palmed game of phone tag, we finally got in touch and she delivered the verdict:

They agree that it's the right time to list me. . .

As a status 1.

Status 1 is not what my CF doctors were aiming for, for the past two weeks I've heard about nothing but Status 2 (the most urgent status). But when I heard the words Status 1, I felt OK about it... I would have time to 'ease' into the idea of getting one organ ripped out and replaced with another. Nice, eh? Plus, I'm having 'stable' days, so it's much easier to convince me that they know best--we'll see how I feel about it in three weeks.

Why three weeks? April 19th is the day I go to Toronto General to meet with my coordinator and surgeons to sign the papers, then it's the real deal--I'll officially be on the list. In the meantime, a pager has been mailed to my house and I get to play around with it to make sure it's working... I feel so 1990's.

I'm so ready to be on the list, I'm sick of this hospital, sick of IVs, sick of four times a day physio (no pun intended with the times three usage of sick) and otherwise revolving life around keeping these puppies afloat. Up next: deciding what comes next. Last week I was told I'd probably have to stay on these IVs until transplant (going home on three IV meds? I said no way, at least one has to go) and likely stay in hospital for a couple more weeks. Then again sometimes it seems like every doc has a different opinion, so I suppose I'll see what next week brings--if all fails, I'll start turning to the magic 8-ball for answers.

3 Responses so far.

  1. Good start. TGH as well as St.Mike's will watch you closely, and changing the status only takes a minute.
    Keep calm and carry on honey.

  2. Kyle McCarthy says:

    TGH or St.Mikes I Just Hope They Both Take Care Of You Well Lindsay <3

    Kyle

  3. katarina says:

    Your in great hands at TGH Lindsay.You will be very well taking care of there.They took great care of my aunt after her transplant. I wish you the best of luck.

    Katarina