2009: The year I got lucky

2009 was quite an interesting year, to say the least. It really tried our patience and, as is the nature of CF, kept me humbled. I like to plan and to follow that plan as closely as I can but as I learned, plans cannot always follow a linear path.

December 2008: I had started IVs on December 15, after a record-breaking 3 years without them. With this in mind, I felt grateful I had gone so long without them and welcome the oppertunity to boost my pfts from the mid-30's back to the 40's. I spent 1 week in the hospital then continued home IVs during Christmas and New Years.

January: I picked up a weird bug (while on IVs) on the exact same day my pfts finally reached baseline. Within one week I went from being back to health and ready to start my second semester to in the hospital, with pfts in the mid 20s, spiking fevers and on oxygen 24/7. I dropped down to part-time studies for the first time and spent my 22nd birthday in the hospital (my nurse pulled some strings and gave me a day pass to go home for a few hours.)

During this time I met my hospital roomie, Arlene, who was (and still is) waiting for a liver transplant. We enjoyed late night convos and shared small milestones.

February: Still on oxygen, but going for walks around the hospital every day--even though it was usually forced by my parents. The most frustrating part of this was that I was unable to eat since January because the fevers made it difficult and I constantly felt full. I went home for one week of home care, but quickly got worse again, so I ended up back in the hospital.

March: After 13 long weeks, I finished IVs, got off the oxygen (only used for exercise now) and finally went home for good. My pfts only ever went back up to 28%, but I have enjoyed good health since then.

April: PICC line removed. To celebrate the end of a long winter, we take a family trip to Naples, Florida.

May: Go for my transplant consultation at TGH, on the way home I get a call for a job interview.

June: Start my summer full-time job at Theatre Collingwood as a PR assistant. Move to Collingwood for the summer. Beautiful place, where there is rarely a smog alert day!

July: We experience our coolest summer yet. No swimming in Georgian Bay, that's for sure.

August: I go for my four-day transplant assessment workup at TGH. Start this blog and begin to follow the blogs of other CFers.

September: Start back at school as a part-time student. A little weird to adjust too, but I definitely don't have to worry about not being busy enough.

October: Busy, busy with school. (which is probably why I don't remember much from that month!)

November: Lots of transplant stories receiving headlines. Eva's story airs on CBC, along with Natalia's. My own magazine article that I write about a fellow CFer is approved for publication (coming soon!)

December: My mom and I go for a week-long trip to Barbados and come home in time for Christmas. Spend most of the break at our chalet in Collingwood, enjoying skiing and the relaxation!

Happy New Year Everyone!

I should also add--belatedly--that 2009 was the year I grew closer to my CF cysta, H and met Ash--a fellow CFer who later recieved a transplant. Proof that good always comes from the bad.