Shots are not a girl's best friend...

I finally got my H1N1 shot on Monday--swine has already been making its sweet way around my school--so it was quite a relief. I did not have to line up either! Despite the horrible looking line-ups on the 6'o'clock news, I went to Guelph University and waltzed straight in. Now, I may have made a terrible decision at this point, they asked me if I wanted to get my seasonal flu shot at the same time... and I said yes (after they assured me several times that this wouldn't increase the likelihood of side-effects).

WELL, let me tell you, I do not know if it was this ill-fated decision, or the H1N1 shot, or pure coincidence, but three days later (yesterday) I woke up at 5 am to the most horrible alarm clock--chills. Three layers of warm winter blankets were not enough to fight off the cold, my heart was racing and I knew I was getting another fever. What's worse, everytime I shifted around my bed--trying to create warmth--I felt a hint of nausea. Really, I had no choice but to wimp out and stay perfectly still for the next two hours.

By 7 am I was restless, tired and bored--staying in one position for that long can do that to a person. So I took a deep breath, grabbed my giant sweater nearby... and then the nausea won and I ran to the bathroom. With a temp. of 102, which isn't even a high temperature, but enough to be annoying--I was convinced I had the flu. Like any sensible person, I drugged myself up with tylenol and gravol and slept until 2:30. When I woke up, every symptom was gone, leaving a nice little migraine in its wake.

Now that I've made everyone afraid of yet another shot, let me clarify--I still would have got the shot. When you have a compromised immune system it is much better to have a couple of days of discomfort versus major complications. 

After 24 hrs I was fine, just residual muscle pain that was very manageable. I was still able to go to my gala, which was pretty fun (hoping to get some pics up!). And I don't have much work this weekend...so I will have to find something to do with myself!