Media Monday: The Essential CF Handbook & PFTs

I have referred to this site a number of times and it is usually successful in answering most questions you have thought of (and never thought of!): Cystic-L

It is actually a free e-mail service/support group for patients, families, friends and health-support workers of PWCF (people with Cystic Fibrosis) that started up in 1994. I used to subscribe to it, but then my inbox got increasingly crowded, so I opted to visit the 'handbook' section of the site instead. I recently found a new appreciation for this website when I clicked on the PFTs Explained For You! link. Amazing how after 22 years, I can still be confused by all the numbers on this test. The Handbook is a little outdated in some sections, but still very useful.

What is a PFT Test?
Here is a great video that shows what it is: PFT Test

The only difference with this one is that I am usually sitting down and my face turns a nice shade of lobster red. I also often see floaters/stars by the time I am done blowing, then I spend a lot of time talking to the respirologist so I can avoid doing it again. By the way, this shows one attempt--depending on how you fair, you will usually do multiple attempts until you have done the absolute best you can do (the average is 3-4 attempts).

I will try to explain more in-depth what a PFT test is later this week, but here is the gist of it:

  • A PFT test measures the volume of air in your lungs and how much air you can blow out in one second (there are also many, many other things it tests **See Handbook above:" PFTS Explained for You!"** )
  • This is important because it compares the functioning of your lungs to other people your age and size
  • It helps determine what state your lungs are in, e.g. if you are stable, sick, need to be referred for a lung-transplant, etc.

One Response so far.

  1. ahahah linds i totally stall for time and talk to the technician to avoid doing another test too...also i see stars as well...but i havent' seen them lately. maybe i'm not trying hard enough...i'll work on that next time i go down to clinic.